So I work in a mostly male-dominated team (of software developers) who have all decided to get into body-building. They talk a LOT about super foods and protein shakes and “gains”. Me – I am more interested in ‘losses’ but I have been feeling a little flat after cycling to and from work so I decided to give this recipe a go. Its got lots of good stuff in it and it does give me a kick to recover or prepare from a good ride. Am just careful not to eat them too late at night or too many of them (which is hard ‘cos they are good!) – don’t want to make “gains”!
Think chocolate truffle gone health kick…
- 100g Rolled Oats
- 70g quinoa flakes
- 400ml Almond Milk
- 20g Coconut Oil
- 50g (3 teaspoons) Raw Honey
- 120g Kapai Puku (seed mix)
- 15g (2 teaspoons) Pea Protein (increase if you want more protein)
- 50g (2 teaspoons) ABC spread
- 50g (3-4 teaspoons) Date Spread
- 25g Chopped Pecans
- 25g Chopped Almonds (I didn’t include this in my first attempt but I intend to next time)
- 15g Chia Seeds
- 15g Cacao Powder
- 180g Coconut Flakes
- Mix the oats, quinoa flakes and almond milk in a saucepan and cook over a medium heat until you have a fairly dry porridge consistency.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl and put it aside and let it cool completely.
- Now mix everything except the coconut flakes else in.
- Taste it:
- Too wet? Add more protein powder
- Not sweet enough? Add more cacao powder, honey, or date paste (or all of the above)
- Need more texture? Add more nuts and or seeds
- Now roll into walnut size balls and roll in coconut flakes.
- Refrigerate until firm. Can also freeze.